October 25, 2013

Unicorns in the desert...

While Hubby was deployed, I got a call one afternoon.  I usually screen all calls from unknown numbers, but something told me to go ahead and answer it.

"Hey," the voice on the other end said.

My mind raced trying to recognize the voice.  I stalled by saying a very enthusiastic "hey."  I should have known immediately who it was, but when your husband is stationed on an aircraft carrier in the middle of the ocean and the number on your phone is from the states, it can cause some confusion.

Due to some mechanical issues with his aircraft, he had to divert to a base on land, and because the aircraft needed a few repairs, he would have to stay for a bit.

Maybe it was exhaustion from a long flight.  Maybe it was the adrenaline rush from a scary flight.  Maybe it was the frustration of having a broken aircraft.  Maybe it was the heat of his diversion location.  Whatever it was, that man decided to tell me that his temporary lodging in country had recently been under rocket attack from the enemy.

"You shouldn't have told me that," I said, wondering why he broke our rule of censoring the scary stuff until he's been safe for a while.

"Oh, I mean, we're just hanging out having a pool party," he backtracked.

"Don't say pool party."  He had recently told me about some allegedly inappropriate pool parties that some guys from the boat had gone to at their last port.

"OK," he laughed.  "I mean there are just unicorns prancing around shooting out rainbows."

"Don't say shooting."

"OK.  Just unicorns.  There are just unicorns here."

Then we both laughed, and that laughter instantly eased the tension both of us were feeling because of this situation.  I'm so thankful to have a husband that can make me laugh even in the scariest of circumstances.  Just writing about this makes me laugh! :)



   photo IfYouLikeThisPost_zps91d5f78c.jpg
google +pinterestbloglovin

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read AND comment! Your support means so much to me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...