June 22, 2011

When Hubby is away...

God has given me an amazing husband. 

The military has given me many, many weeks away from my amazing husband.  But each separation has allowed me to grow in very unique ways.   

During this last separation, I found myself playing the role of handy (wo)man by lowering the crib mattress and installing the new car seat.  My first instinct with these projects was to give up and wait until Hubby got home.  But alas, Baby is growing and couldn't wait for Dad to tackle these tasks.  A few tears of frustration were shed as I used the L-shaped whoosie-whatsie to pry loose the bolts on the crib to reposition it. 

For the car seat, I read the instruction manual cover to cover, through all the languages (lest I miss something in English) at least three times before attempting to install it.  Once I thought I had it figured out, I put Baby in his new backpack carrier (which I also had to put together by myself) and headed out to the garage.  Half an hour, a few more glances at the instruction manual, and a very sweaty mom and baby later, Baby's big boy car seat was securely installed. 

As if these challenges weren't enough, I decided to take a mini vacay--just Baby and me.  I packed up the car, and six hours later we arrived at our destination.  I valeted the car, checked into our hotel, tipped the bellman, and headed out to explore the town...just Baby and me.  We shopped, ate, and visited tourist traps all by ourselves.  It was definitely a challenge, but I am proud to say that I conquered a solo-ish vacation to a place I had always wanted to visit.  Sure beats sitting around the house for weeks on end!  

I have to admit that these military-induced separations are not pleasant, but they are allowing me to grow in ways I never imagined.  I'm not a handy-(wo)man and I prefer to travel with people over two feet tall.  But I make the best of what I'm given and try my darndest to carry on with life while Hubby is away.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You go, mama!!! Way to make good of a crappy situation. Military life can be so hard... but it seems that you've found a way to make it bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to rock the separation blues out of this world. It's amazing what separation causes us to get into, and explore. You're blessed by finally getting out of the same ole situation day after day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie and Jen...thank you so much for your support! Your sweet comments mean so much to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! I'm a wee bit handy, so I feel you on wanting to wait for the hubby when something seems overwhelming. Not a military wife, but a military sister, with my youngest brother being currently deployed in Afghanistan. Thanks for stopping by my blog for my SITS day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read AND comment! Your support means so much to me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...