June 1, 2011

Bring the rain...

There are times in our lives that are just plain harder than others. This past year has been a time like that for Hubby and me, for a number of reasons. During this time, the Lord continues to put a particular verse on my heart: “Have you considered my servant Job?” (Job 1:8). As I continue to struggle, this verse obsessively repeats over and over in my mind.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t consider myself or my sufferings to be at the level of Job. After all, God said that “no one on earth [is] like him: he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil” (Job 1:8). I don’t even compare. Nor do my sufferings. Job endured the loss of his property and his family. In comparison, my own sufferings have been a minor inconvenience. But that doesn’t make my suffering any less real or painful to me.

This verse speaks to me in a very real way. God allows hardships—in Job’s life and in mine. At the beginning of Job, God is the one who suggested to Satan that Job be tested. God had faith that Job would remain faithful to Him. Was it hard on Job? Was it painful for him? Did he question why terrible things were happening to him? Absolutely. I am no different in this way.

Job could easily have turned his back on God, yet “[i]n all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing” (Job 1:22). Job proved God right by remaining faithful. In my suffering, I have a similar choice to make: I can choose to turn my back on God or I can draw closer to Him. I choose the latter.

I know that God has full control over my life and is allowing hard times for a reason. Whether or not I understand what God is doing in my life or why He is choosing to go about it a certain way, I have faith that through every circumstance He will be glorified.

My heart and soul (and sometimes my mouth) sing:

“I know there’ll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that’s what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain.” (“Bring the Rain” by Mercy Me)

Thank you, Lord, for raining hard times down on me. Help me to continue to glorify You through it all.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where you are more likely to see my comment here or there, but regardless, that was such an excellent post. I had never seen the Wives of Faith website, but I think I will now spend a good hour or so scouring it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read AND comment! Your support means so much to me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...