July 18, 2013

An innocent goodbye...

The day that Hubby left for his first combat deployment was a bittersweet day.  The little boys and I went with Hubby to the flightline to see him off.  Boy #1 was ecstatic to be at "dada's work."  His excitement just couldn't be contained.  The innocence of it was heartbreaking.  He just didn't know what this all meant--what was about to happen. 



We walked out to Hubby's aircraft as a family, desperately wanting to hold on to every last second.  After a long hug and whispers of forever love and one more kiss, I took Boy #1's hand, put Boy #2 back on my hip, and walked away from Hubby and his aircraft.  As we walked away from him and into our deployment life--our life without him at home--the tears I had been holding in all morning couldn't be held back anymore.   They streamed uncontrollably down my face, even as Boy #1 began happily skipping around me in circles and Boy #2 gleefully cooed on my hip.  

Our temporary family of three made our way to the place where we were told we could watch Hubby take off.  Boy #1 saw my tear-streaked face, and with his sweet toddler sensitivity, he gently grabbed my hand and stared at me for a few seconds with a furrowed brow and concern in his eyes.  I smiled at him, told him I was ok, and wiped the tears from my face.  He let go of my hand and continued his skips and squeals of excitement. 

My son's sweet innocence put a smile on my face that day.  He knew nothing of deployments, combat, fighting, or danger; only that he loved his daddy.  


During the most unsettling of days--with news of close calls, accidents, deaths, and terror--I wish I had that childlike innocence.  I wish I could happily skip around in circles and be blissfully naive, just like Boy #1 was on the day Hubby deployed.  

Of course, I can't go back to a state of naivety.  All I can do is look forward to the day when I can go back to that same spot on the flightline to watch Hubby land and walk right back into our happy family circle.  


8 comments:

  1. I wish I could tell you they get easier, but I feel as my daughter has gotten older, the separations and deployments have gotten harder on her. But, I've always looked at the positives of a deployment (they do exist!). I reconnect with friends whom I rarely connect with, I
    Cross off things on bucket lists.........lastly, the feeling of a homecoming is like no other!!!!!! I LOVE homecomings!!! And to think...no other person in this world knows what that feeling is like unless they're a military family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment! Deployments are hard, but homecomings are amazing! :)

      Delete
  2. Watching them leave it so incredibly hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why some wives don't drop off their husbands for deployment...

      Delete
  3. What powerful photos you got. Hang in there! The homecoming will be worth it! I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always envy the innocence of the kiddos, and how care free they are.

    Stay strong momma!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read AND comment! Your support means so much to me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...