September 12, 2013

Put away the pumpkins...

I have a confession to make.  All of my pumpkin decorations are out, my house smells like autumn, and I just bought some pumpkin spice coffee.  And if I'm being really honest, my house has looked and smelled like fall since September 1.  OK, August 30.

As I spent most of the day yesterday trying to stay cool in the 95 degree weather, I thought that maybe, just maybe, I was a little crazy for trying to channel fall in the heat of summer.  But don't I do that for every season?  As soon as it's actually fall, I'm planning for winter and Christmas.  By January, I am praying that that silly little groundhog doesn't see his shadow.  Then goodness knows I'm ready for the carefree attitude of summer right after that.

Why do I always look forward to the next season?  What am I missing in my current season while I'm planning for the next?  If I always look ahead, I'll never see what's right around me.

If I'm always looking forward to the end of deployment, I might miss the precious memories I'm making with my sons.  If I'm always looking forward to when Boy2 is more independent, I might miss him sleeping in my arms after his bottle.  If I'm always looking forward to our next move, I might miss the peace that comes with being settled in one place for a while.

Maybe I should put away my pumpkins until the appropriate time (like when it's actually fall) and go enjoy a day at the beach (since it is actually summer)!  


google +pinterestbloglovin

9 comments:

  1. I am pretty good at keeping the seasons where they "belong," but I am horrible about wanting life to speed up with those exact situations you mentioned and then some.
    Trying to live in the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No leave the pumpkins out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...they are still out! BUT, I did go to the beach last week! :)

      Delete
  3. Leave the pumpkins out. I'm already being asked to make pumpkin pie lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...they are still out! BUT, I did go to the beach last week! :)

      Delete
  4. I can relate to that currently. We're in the "limbo" of getting orders or staying here due to injury for a year...
    SO.hard.to.wait.


    And Pumpkins officially come out Sept 22, 2013 here...that's the OFFICIAL start of fall and HOPEFULLY when Bath and Body works put their candles on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard, but it's always worth the wait! Real fall is just around the corner! :)

      Delete
  5. It's so hard not to look ahead in the military-there is always something right around the corner! But you are right, it's too easy to miss out when we forget to appreciate the here and now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read AND comment! Your support means so much to me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...